Family sponsorship is a solution to reunite families in Canada. The Canadian family member, who is at least 18 years
old and a Canadian permanent resident or Canadian citizen may sponsor :
- Common-law partner
- Conjugal partner
- Dependent child
- Adopted children
NOTE : * Canada recognizes same-sex marriage, and same-sex partners may be eligible to apply
provided they meet all eligibility requirements.
NOTE : * Changes to conditional permanent residence
Sponsored spouses or partners: your permanent residence is no longer dependent on you living with your sponsor for a period of 2 years
NOTE : * As of October 24, 2017, principal applicants may include their children aged 21 and under, who are not married or in a common-law relationship,
on their immigration application.
For parents and grandparents, there is also the Super Visa program.
Some Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) offer Family Sponsorship for people with family members
who are residents of that province or territory, with less stringent requirements and fast track processing, than the Federal Family
Class category of immigration :
Provincial Nominee Programs with a Family Class Category
- Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program ( AINP )
- Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program ( MPNP )
- Newfoundland And Labrador Provincial Nominee Program ( NLPNP )
- Nova Scotia Nominee Program ( NSNP )
- Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program ( PEIPNP )
- Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program ( SINP )